Blood Clots: Beyaz / Safyral / YAZ / Yasmin / Gianvi / Ocella
We are not accepting new cases at this time.
Each of these birth control pills contain ethinyl estradiol (EE) and the progestin drospirenone (DRSP). These DRSP oral contraceptives have also been associated with several different adverse side effects such as:
- Blood Clots
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
- Cerebrovascular Accidents (CVA)
- Heart Attack
- Myocardial Infarction
YAZ, Yasmin, Beyaz, and Safyral are manufactured by Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Yasmin was originally made by Berlex Laboratories, which was acquired by Bayer in 2006.
Ocella is a generic version of Yasmin. Gianvi is a generic version of YAZ. The Ocella and Gianvi birth control pills are from Teva Pharmaceuticals and Barr Laboratories.
Recent Side Effects Case Evaluations
Gianvi – Pulmonary Embolism – 24 yr old woman
Beyaz – Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) – 43 yr old woman
Beyaz – Pulmonary Embolism – 47 yr old woman
Gianvi – Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE); Death – 35 yr old woman
Gianvi – Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis / Stroke – 38 yr old woman
Gianvi – Pulmonary Embolism (PE) – 22 yr old woman
Safyral – Pulmonary Embolism (PE) – 38 yr old woman
Gianvi – Pulmonary Embolism (PE) and Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) – 24 yr old woman
Gianvi – Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) – 29 yr old woman
YAZ – Pulmonary Embolism (PE) and Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) causing Death – 42 yr old woman
Beyaz – Pulmonary Embolism (PE) and Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) – 16 yr old girl
Most Recent Article About These Drugs
October 2015 Update On Bayer’s YAZ / Yasmin Settlement Program Numbers
We have been reporting periodically on the YAZ / Yasmin / Gianvi / Ocella / Beyaz / Safyral litigation since 2009 when the first lawsuits against Bayer were filed.
To read more of this article, click below:
Yasmin™/YAZ™: As of July 17, 2015, the number of claimants in the pending lawsuits and claims in the United States totaled about 4,000 (excluding claims already settled). Claimants allege that they have suffered personal injuries, some of them fatal, from the use of Bayer’s drospirenone-containing oral contraceptive products such as Yasmin™ and/or YAZ™ or from the use of Ocella™ and/or Gianvi™, generic versions of Yasmin™ and YAZ™, respectively, marketed by Barr Laboratories, Inc. in the United States.
As of July 17, 2015, Bayer had reached agreements, without admission of liability, to settle approximately 9,900 claims in the U.S. for venous clot injuries (deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism) for a total amount of about US$1.97 billion. Bayer will continue to consider the option of settling such claims after a case-specific analysis of medical records. At present, about 590 such claims are under review…. As of July 17, 2015, about 1,200 of the 4,000 above-mentioned claimants alleged arterial thromboembolic injuries.
We expect to find updated settlement numbers in the Bayer Interim Report for the Third Quarter of 2015, which is currently scheduled to be published on October 29, 2015.[Read this article in full at original source]
Earlier articles by attorney Tom Lamb on the the Side Effects Blog:
- Another Blood-Clots Warning Label Change For YAZ Coming?
- Bayer’s Numbers of YAZ / Yasmin Lawsuits and Settlements in April 2015
- Beyaz / Safyral / YAZ / Yasmin: These Drospirenone Containing Birth Control Pills Have A Higher Risk Of Blood Clot Side Effects Than Older Options
- YAZ / Yasmin Litigation Update For March 2015: According To Bayer’s 2014 Annual Report, “Additional lawsuits are anticipated.”
- December 2014 YAZ / Yasmin Litigation Update: Still Over 2000 DVT And/Or PE Cases Not Settled According To Bayer’s Most Recent Financial Report
- Summer 2014 Update YAZ / Yasmin / Ocella / Gianvi Litigation: Bayer Reports On Total Settlements And Number Of Pending Claims
- About 2000 YAZ / Yasmin / Ocella / Gianvi Blood Clot Cases Are Still Not Settled More Than Two Years After Bayer Began Settlement Mediations
- YAZ / Yasmin Products Liability Litigation: February 2014 Bayer Information About The Number Of Claims, Lawsuits, And Settlements
- During 2013 Bayer Has Had More Than 2000 YAZ / Yasmin Lawsuits For Blood Clots That Are Not Settled
- Higher Risk Of Venous Thrombosis – Blood Clot Side Effects Like DVT And PE With YAZ / Yasmin Birth Control Pills Is Confirmed By September 2013 BMJ Medical Journal Article
- YAZ / Yasmin / Ocella / Gianvi Blood Clot Lawsuits That Are Not Settled Yet: Number Increases, Indicating That These Legal Claims Continue To Be Filed In 2013
- Summer 2013 Bayer Lawsuits Update: YAZ, Yasmin, Ocella, And Gianvi Lawsuits Continue To Be Settled, With New Cases Being Filed
- As Bayer Settlements For YAZ, Yasmin, Ocella, And Gianvi Continue In 2013, Total Payments Will Go Over The $1 Billion Level
All content by attorney Tom Lamb