Kidney Damage or Renal Failure: Tekturna / Tekamlo / Amturnide / Valturna
We are not accepting new cases at this time.
Tekturna (aliskiren) was approved by the FDA for marketing in March 2007 after it was evaluated for safety in 6,460 patients, and only 1250 patients were treated for longer than 1 year. As we have learned too often with many newly marketed drugs, the true incidence of serious adverse events may not be realized until many thousands or millions of exposures have occurred in a patient population less homogeneous than the group participating in the premarketing trials. And that scenario may be the case with Tekturna as well as the other aliskiren related drugs:
- Tekturna HCT (aliskiren hemifumarate and hydrochlorothiazide)
- Tekamlo (aliskiren hemifumarate and amlodipine besylate)
- Amturnide (aliskiren hemifumarate, amlodipine besylate, and hydrochlorothiazide
- Valturna (aliskiren hemifumarate and valsartan). NOTE: Novartis stopped marketing Valturna in July 2012, i.e., withdrawn from the market.
Some medical research has shown that patients with Type-2 diabetes are more likely to experience the following side effects than are patients with Type-2 diabetes who are not taking Tekturna:
• Increased blood potassium levels (hyperkalemia)
• Kidney (renal) damage
• Low blood pressure (hypotension)
Most Recent Article About This Drug
Tekturna Should Not Be Used In Combination With Certain Other Blood Pressure Drugs Due To Side Effects Hyperkalemia And Kidney Problems, Says Health Canada
In Addition, Such Combined Use In Patients With Kidney Disease Or Diabetes Increases Risks Of Having A Stroke As Well As Fainting And Falling
SUMMARY: In February 2014 Health Canada issued “New warnings regarding blood pressure drugs” which includes safety information about the drug Tekturna (aliskiren) as regards its use in combination with some other blood pressure medications.
To read more of this article, click below:
Of course, we will continue to monitor the safety issues involving Tekturna, and report significant developments here.[Read this article in full at original source]
Earlier article by attorney Tom Lamb on the Side Effects Blog:
- Tekturna And Other Aliskiren Related Blood Pressure Medications Can Cause Renal Failure, Kidney Complications, And Strokes
All content by attorney Tom Lamb