Here is the most recent information from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the Global Pharma eye products recall for case reports associated with bacterial contamination:
As of March 1, 2023, CDC, in partnership with state and local health departments, identified 64 patients in 13 states (CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, NJ, NM, NY, NV, TX, UT, WA, WI) with VIM-GES-CRPA, a rare strain of extensively drug-resistant P. aeruginosa. Thirty-seven patients were linked to four healthcare facility clusters. One person has died and there have been 8 reports of vision loss. Dates of specimen collection were from May 2022 to January 2023.
Source: CDC Healthcare-Associated Infections document “Outbreak of Extensively Drug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa Associated with Artificial Tears” (accessed 3/1/23)
During February 2023 there were recalls of Global Pharma eye products, specifically:
- EzriCare Artificial Tears
- Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Tears
- Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Eye Ointment
Timeline for Global Pharma Eye Products Recall
- 2/1/2023: The CDC issued a warning about this Global Pharma eye product, EzriCare Artificial Tears, associated with serious eye infections in patients from various states during recent months.
- 2/2/2023: Global Pharma initiated a voluntary recall at the consumer level of all unexpired lots of EzriCare Artificial Tears as well as a second Global Pharma eye product, Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Tears.
- 2/21/2023: First announcement by the FDA about Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Eye Ointment is a warning not to purchase or use this different type of Global Pharma eye product.
- 2/22/2023: Second announcement by the FDA, one day later, is about a Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Eye Ointment recall by Global Pharma.
For more information, see our earlier articles about this Global Pharma eye products recall:
We are investigating cases involving hospitalization, death, or permanent vision loss from an infection due to bacterial contamination in connection with this Global Pharma eye products recall.
Let us know if we can be of assistance to you or someone you know by submitting an online Case Evaluation Form or calling us at 800-426-9535.[Read article in full at original source]
Strictly Confidential, No Obligation